The Big Pineapple has been an icon of the sunshine coast for years. Now the iconic Pineapple has just been approved for a $150 million-dollar upgrade and make over which will providing new attractions and businesses to flourish.
Planned uses at the Big Pineapple include:
- Food and tourism hub to showcase the region’s produce (the Big Pineapple experience) including craft brewery and fresh food produce outlet & F&B outlets
- Tourism attractions, including a water park
- Adventure and recreation, including Tree Top Challenge adventure course
- Events space, supporting our highly successful music program, including the Big Pineapple Music Festival.
- Accommodation including an RV park, glamping, eco-villas and hotel
- Food production, R&D and distribution (which is commencing with COYO, an organic coconut yoghurt producer)
- Travel centre including a service station
- Educational elements including a school camp.
With all these new upgrades now approved it will bring in an expected 160,000 Annual Visitors and will pump another $45 million per annum into the local economy.
There are already two new attractions that have been finished and are now open. One of them is the new Tree Tops Challenge high ropes and zipline course. The new course is being constructed across eight acres, within the mature trees that backdrop the Big Pineapple structure and original buildings. There will be about 120 activities across the two-kilometre course, with a variety of challenges including a 120m zipline. The course will take around half a day to complete.
Tree Top Challenge is an example of the type and quality of ecotourism experience to be facilitated at the Big Pineapple. The Tree Top Challenge course is designed and being constructed with the greatest consideration to the natural environment through retention and protection of trees.
We definitely recommend going to look and try out some of the new attractions at The Big Pineapple this holiday.